Todd McDevitt’s research focuses on engineering technologies to direct the differentiation and organization of stem cells to create functional tissues. His team is creating models of human tissues that can be used to study embryonic development and develop new approaches to treat diseases that afflict the cardiovascular, neurological, and immunological systems. McDevitt’s group was the first to show they could create a new type of spinal cord neuron from human pluripotent stem cells that might be useful to treat spinal cord injuries. They are now examining the therapeutic potential of these cells in animal models and developing novel organoid models of the central nervous system.
Areas of Expertise
Human tissue constructs and organoids derived from stem cells offer novel model systems for probing mechanisms of embryonic development. In addition, engineered human microtissues provide valuable biological substrates to interrogate infectious and genetic diseases and the effects of exposure to other environmental factors.
McDevitt's lab uses a bottom-up approach to understand how cells cooperatively interact to form complex tissues and dictate multicellular organization and subsequent physiologic function. They have developed systems to achieve spatiotemporal control of morphogen presentation from biomaterials incorporated within 3D environments of stem cell aggregates, and established 3D computational models of stem cell differentiation and morphogenesis. More recently, they have also used CRISPR-based technologies to engineer multicellular organization of stem cells in a self-directed manner. The group has a long-standing interest in harnessing the potency of molecules produced by pluripotent stem cells in different manners for regenerative and rejuvenative applications.
Senior Investigator, Gladstone Institutes
Professor of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences, UC San Francisco
Program Director, Graduate Program in Bioengineering, UC San Francisco and UC Berkeley
Todd C. McDevitt is a senior investigator at Gladstone Institutes. He is also a professor of bioengineering and therapeutic sciences at UC San Francisco, as well as the program director for the joint Graduate Program in Bioengineering at UC San Francisco and UC Berkeley.
McDevitt graduated with a bachelor’s degree in biomedical and electrical engineering from Duke University. He earned a PhD in bioengineering from the University of Washington, where he worked on methods to engineer cardiac and skeletal muscle tissue. He then completed a postdoctoral fellowship in the Department of Pathology at the University of Washington, in which he studied signaling pathways that affect the proliferation of cardiomyocytes derived from pluripotent stem cells. He has received several awards, including a New Investigator Award from the American Heart Association and a Young Investigator Award from the Society for Biomaterials, and was inducted into the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) College of Fellows in 2014.
McDevitt's lab integrates fundamental principles of cell and tissue engineering, biomaterials, and systems approaches with stem cell and development biology expertise to determine how to create functional models of human tissues for regenerative medicine therapies and enable new biological discoveries. Their long-term goal is to create robust models of complex human biological systems that can faithfully recapitulate dynamic morphogenic processes and facilitate the translation of biomedical therapies for congenital, degenerative and infectious human diseases.
How Did You Get Your Start in Science?
“My initial interest in science was sparked by my AP Chemistry teacher, Lee Marek, in high school.”
Honors and Awards
2014 CIRM Research Leadership Award, California Institute for Regenerative Medicine
2014 Elected to American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) College of Fellows
2014 Top Medical Researcher, Atlanta Business Chronicle
2013 “40 Under 40,” Georgia Trend magazine
2013 Best Advisor Award, Georgia Tech Bioengineering Graduate Program
2013 Carol Ann and David D. Flanagan Professorship, Georgia Tech
2013 Best of BIOT (invited webinar), American Chemical Society
2011 “Above and Beyond” (Eagle) Award, Georgia Tech Biomedical Engineering Society
2011 Most Influential Georgians (Notables), Georgia Trend Magazine
2011 UK-US Collaboration Development Award
2010 Most Influential Georgians (Notables), Georgia Trend Magazine
2010 Young Investigator Award, Society for Biomaterials
2010 Junior Faculty Outstanding Undergraduate Research Mentor Award, Georgia Tech
2009 Petit Institute Interdisciplinary Research and Education Award, Georgia Tech
2009 Petit Faculty Fellow, Institute for Bioengineering and Bioscience, Georgia Tech
2008 UK-US Stem Cell Collaboration Development Award
2004 New Investigator Award, American Heart Association, Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences
- Heparin-mediated delivery of bone morphogenetic protein-2 improves spatial localization of bone regeneration. Hettiaratchi MH, Krishnan L, Rouse T, Chou C, McDevitt TC, Guldberg RE. Sci Adv. 2020 Jan; 6(1):eaay1240.
- Author Correction: V2a interneuron differentiation from mouse and human pluripotent stem cells. Butts JC, Iyer N, White N, Thompson R, Sakiyama-Elbert S, McDevitt TC. Nat Protoc. 2020 Jan; 15(1):181.
- Automated Single Cell Tracking of In Vitro Multi-Cellular Morphogenesis Predicts Pluripotent Stem Cell Fate Decisions. Joy D, Libby A, McDevitt T. J Biomol Tech. 2019 Dec; 30(Suppl):S6.
- Automated Design of Pluripotent Stem Cell Self-Organization. Libby ARG, Briers D, Haghighi I, Joy DA, Conklin BR, Belta C, McDevitt TC. Cell Syst. 2019 Nov 27; 9(5):483-495.e10.
- V2a interneuron differentiation from mouse and human pluripotent stem cells. Butts JC, Iyer N, White N, Thompson R, Sakiyama-Elbert S, McDevitt TC. Nat Protoc. 2019 Nov; 14(11):3033-3058.
- Imaging the developing human external and internal urogenital organs with light sheet fluorescence microscopy. Isaacson D, McCreedy D, Calvert M, Shen J, Sinclair A, Cao M, Li Y, McDevitt T, Cunha G, Baskin L. Differentiation. 2020 Jan - Feb; 111:12-21.
- Hyaluronic acid as a macromolecular crowding agent for production of cell-derived matrices. Shendi D, Marzi J, Linthicum W, Rickards AJ, Dolivo DM, Keller S, Kauss MA, Wen Q, McDevitt TC, Dominko T, Schenke-Layland K, Rolle MW. Acta Biomater. 2019 Dec; 100:292-305.
- Phenotypic Variation Between Stromal Cells Differentially Impacts Engineered Cardiac Tissue Function. Hookway TA, Matthys OB, Mendoza-Camacho FN, Rains S, Sepulveda JE, Joy DA, McDevitt TC. Tissue Eng Part A. 2019 05; 25(9-10):773-785.
- Comparable Decellularization of Fetal and Adult Cardiac Tissue Explants as 3D-like Platforms for In Vitro Studies. Silva AC, Oliveira MJ, McDevitt TC, Barbosa MA, Nascimento DS, Pinto-do-Ó P. J Vis Exp. 2019 03 21; (145).
- Author Correction: Dynamic intercellular transport modulates the spatial patterning of differentiation during early neural commitment. Glen CM, McDevitt TC, Kemp ML. Nat Commun. 2018 11 16; 9(1):4901.
- Perspective: The promise of multi-cellular engineered living systems. Kamm RD, Bashir R, Arora N, Dar RD, Gillette MU, Griffith LG, Kemp ML, Kinlaw K, Levin M, Martin AC, McDevitt TC, Nerem RM, Powers MJ, Saif TA, Sharpe J, Takayama S, Takeuchi S, Weiss R, Ye K, Yevick HG, Zaman MH. APL Bioeng. 2018 Dec; 2(4):040901.
- Spatiotemporal mosaic self-patterning of pluripotent stem cells using CRISPR interference. Libby AR, Joy DA, So PL, Mandegar MA, Muncie JM, Mendoza-Camacho FN, Weaver VM, Conklin BR, McDevitt TC. Elife. 2018 10 09; 7.
- Dynamic intercellular transport modulates the spatial patterning of differentiation during early neural commitment. Glen CM, McDevitt TC, Kemp ML. Nat Commun. 2018 10 05; 9(1):4111.
- Three-dimensional imaging of the developing human fetal urogenital-genital tract: Indifferent stage to male and female differentiation. Isaacson D, Shen J, Overland M, Li Y, Sinclair A, Cao M, McCreedy D, Calvert M, McDevitt T, Cunha GR, Baskin L. Differentiation. 2018 Sep - Oct; 103:14-23.
- A rapid method for determining protein diffusion through hydrogels for regenerative medicine applications. Hettiaratchi MH, Schudel A, Rouse T, García AJ, Thomas SN, Guldberg RE, McDevitt TC. APL Bioeng. 2018 Jun; 2(2):026110.
- 313 Engineering the 3D MSC Spheroid Microenvironment to Enhance Immunomodulation. J. Zimmermann, T.C. McDevitt. Cytotherapy. 2018 May 1; 20(5):s106.
- Biophysical subsets of embryonic stem cells display distinct phenotypic and morphological signatures. Bongiorno T, Gura J, Talwar P, Chambers D, Young KM, Arafat D, Wang G, Jackson-Holmes EL, Qiu P, McDevitt TC, Sulchek T. PLoS One. 2018; 13(3):e0192631.
- Lightsheet fluorescence microscopy of branching human fetal kidney. Isaacson D, Shen J, McCreedy D, Calvert M, McDevitt T, Cunha G, Baskin L. Kidney Int. 2018 02; 93(2):525.
- Microparticle-mediated sequestration of cell-secreted proteins to modulate chondrocytic differentiation. Rinker TE, Philbrick BD, Hettiaratchi MH, Smalley DM, McDevitt TC, Temenoff JS. Acta Biomater. 2018 03 01; 68:125-136.
- Functionalization of microparticles with mineral coatings enhances non-viral transfection of primary human cells. Khalil AS, Yu X, Xie AW, Fontana G, Umhoefer JM, Johnson HJ, Hookway TA, McDevitt TC, Murphy WL. Sci Rep. 2017 10 27; 7(1):14211.
- A microfluidic trap array for longitudinal monitoring and multi-modal phenotypic analysis of individual stem cell aggregates. Jackson-Holmes EL, McDevitt TC, Lu H. Lab Chip. 2017 10 25; 17(21):3634-3642.
- Tridimensional configurations of human mesenchymal stem/stromal cells to enhance cell paracrine potential towards wound healing processes. Costa MHG, McDevitt TC, Cabral JMS, da Silva CL, Ferreira FC. J Biotechnol. 2017 Nov 20; 262:28-39.
- Enhanced in vivo retention of low dose BMP-2 via heparin microparticle delivery does not accelerate bone healing in a critically sized femoral defect. Hettiaratchi MH, Rouse T, Chou C, Krishnan L, Stevens HY, Li MA, McDevitt TC, Guldberg RE. Acta Biomater. 2017 09 01; 59:21-32.
- The role of adhesion junctions in the biomechanical behaviour and osteogenic differentiation of 3D mesenchymal stem cell spheroids. Griffin FE, Schiavi J, McDevitt TC, McGarry JP, McNamara LM. J Biomech. 2017 07 05; 59:71-79.
- Differentiation of V2a interneurons from human pluripotent stem cells. Butts JC, McCreedy DA, Martinez-Vargas JA, Mendoza-Camacho FN, Hookway TA, Gifford CA, Taneja P, Noble-Haeusslein L, McDevitt TC. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017 05 09; 114(19):4969-4974.
- Competitive Protein Binding Influences Heparin-Based Modulation of Spatial Growth Factor Delivery for Bone Regeneration. Hettiaratchi MH, Chou C, Servies N, Smeekens JM, Cheng A, Esancy C, Wu R, McDevitt TC, Guldberg RE, Krishnan L. Tissue Eng Part A. 2017 07; 23(13-14):683-695.
- Enhanced Immunosuppression of T Cells by Sustained Presentation of Bioactive Interferon-? Within Three-Dimensional Mesenchymal Stem Cell Constructs. Joshua A. Zimmermann, Marian H. Hettiaratchi, Todd C. McDevitt. Stem Cells Translational Medicine. 2017 Jan 1; 6(1):223-237.
- Expansion and angiogenic potential of mesenchymal stem cells from patients with critical limb ischemia. Brewster L, Robinson S, Wang R, Griffiths S, Li H, Peister A, Copland I, McDevitt T. J Vasc Surg. 2017 Mar; 65(3):826-838.e1.
- Design Principles for Engineering of Tissues from Human Pluripotent Stem Cells. Matthys OB, Hookway TA, McDevitt TC. Curr Stem Cell Rep. 2016 Mar; 2(1):43-51.
- A Multi-Modality CMOS Sensor Array for Cell-Based Assay and Drug Screening. Chi T, Park JS, Butts JC, Hookway TA, Su A, Zhu C, Styczynski MP, McDevitt TC, Wang H. IEEE Trans Biomed Circuits Syst. 2015 Dec; 9(6):801-14.
- Biomaterial strategies for controlling stem cell fate via morphogen sequestration. M. H. Hettiaratchi, R. E. Guldberg, T. C. McDevitt. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 2016 Jan 1; 4(20):3464-3481.
- Environmental manipulation to promote stem cell survival in vivo : use of aggregation, oxygen carrier, and BMP-2 co-delivery strategies. Ashley B. Allen, Josh A. Zimmermann, Olivia A. Burnsed, Doron Cohn Yakubovich, Hazel Y. Stevens, Zulma Gazit, Todd C. McDevitt, Robert E. Guldberg. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 2016 Jan 1; 4(20):3594-3607.
- Aggregate formation and suspension culture of human pluripotent stem cells and differentiated progeny. Hookway TA, Butts JC, Lee E, Tang H, McDevitt TC. Methods. 2016 05 15; 101:11-20.
- Mineral particles modulate osteo-chondrogenic differentiation of embryonic stem cell aggregates. Wang Y, Yu X, Baker C, Murphy WL, McDevitt TC. Acta Biomater. 2016 Jan; 29:42-51.
- MMP-mediated mesenchymal morphogenesis of pluripotent stem cell aggregates stimulated by gelatin methacrylate microparticle incorporation. Nguyen AH, Wang Y, White DE, Platt MO, McDevitt TC. Biomaterials. 2016 Jan; 76:66-75.
- Hydrolysis and Sulfation Pattern Effects on Release of Bioactive Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 from Heparin-Based Microparticles. Tellier LE, Miller T, McDevitt TC, Temenoff JS. J Mater Chem B. 2015 Oct 28; 3(40):8001-8009.
- Quantitative multivariate analysis of dynamic multicellular morphogenic trajectories. White DE, Sylvester JB, Levario TJ, Lu H, Streelman JT, McDevitt TC, Kemp ML. Integr Biol (Camb). 2015 Jul; 7(7):825-33.
- Osteogenic embryoid body-derived material induces bone formation in vivo. Sutha K, Schwartz Z, Wang Y, Hyzy S, Boyan BD, McDevitt TC. Sci Rep. 2015 May 11; 5:9960.
- Phenotypic analysis of familial breast cancer: comparison of BRCAx tumors with BRCA1-, BRCA2-carriers and non-familial breast cancer. Aloraifi F, Alshehhi M, McDevitt T, Cody N, Meany M, O'Doherty A, Quinn CM, Green AJ, Bracken A, Geraghty JG. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2015 May; 41(5):641-6.
- Cell-derived matrices for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine applications. Fitzpatrick LE, McDevitt TC. Biomater Sci. 2015 Jan; 3(1):12-24.
- Differential expression of extracellular matrix and growth factors by embryoid bodies in hydrodynamic and static cultures. Fridley KM, Nair R, McDevitt TC. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2014 Dec; 20(12):931-40.
- Gelatin methacrylate microspheres for controlled growth factor release. Nguyen AH, McKinney J, Miller T, Bongiorno T, McDevitt TC. Acta Biomater. 2015 Feb; 13:101-10.
- Chondroitin sulfate microparticles modulate transforming growth factor-ß1-induced chondrogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cell spheroids. Goude MC, McDevitt TC, Temenoff JS. Cells Tissues Organs. 2014; 199(2-3):117-30.
- Microscale generation of cardiospheres promotes robust enrichment of cardiomyocytes derived from human pluripotent stem cells. Nguyen DC, Hookway TA, Wu Q, Jha R, Preininger MK, Chen X, Easley CA, Spearman P, Deshpande SR, Maher K, Wagner MB, McDevitt TC, Xu C. Stem Cell Reports. 2014 Aug 12; 3(2):260-8.
- Erratum: Materials as stem cell regulators. William L. Murphy, Todd C. McDevitt, Adam J. Engler. Nature Materials. 2014 Jul 1; 13(7):756-756.
- Materials as stem cell regulators. Murphy WL, McDevitt TC, Engler AJ. Nat Mater. 2014 Jun; 13(6):547-57.
- Heparin microparticle effects on presentation and bioactivity of bone morphogenetic protein-2. Hettiaratchi MH, Miller T, Temenoff JS, Guldberg RE, McDevitt TC. Biomaterials. 2014 Aug; 35(25):7228-38.
- Structural and Biological Comparison of Cryopreserved and Fresh Amniotic Membrane Tissues. Ek Kia Tan, Marissa Cooke, Christian Mandrycky, Megha Mahabole, Hua He, Julie O'Connell, Todd C. McDevitt, Scheffer C. G. Tseng. Journal of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering. 2014 May 1; 4(5):379-388.
- Mesenchymal morphogenesis of embryonic stem cells dynamically modulates the biophysical microtissue niche. Kinney MA, Saeed R, McDevitt TC. Sci Rep. 2014 Mar 06; 4:4290.
- A global assessment of stem cell engineering. Loring JF, McDevitt TC, Palecek SP, Schaffer DV, Zandstra PW, Nerem RM. Tissue Eng Part A. 2014 Oct; 20(19-20):2575-89.
- Soluble factors secreted by differentiating embryonic stem cells stimulate exogenous cell proliferation and migration. Ngangan AV, Waring JC, Cooke MT, Mandrycky CJ, McDevitt TC. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2014 Feb 24; 5(1):26.
- Single-cell analysis of embryoid body heterogeneity using microfluidic trapping array. Wilson JL, Suri S, Singh A, Rivet CA, Lu H, McDevitt TC. Biomed Microdevices. 2014 Feb; 16(1):79-90.
- Fluid shear stress pre-conditioning promotes endothelial morphogenesis of embryonic stem cells within embryoid bodies. Nsiah BA, Ahsan T, Griffiths S, Cooke M, Nerem RM, McDevitt TC. Tissue Eng Part A. 2014 Mar; 20(5-6):954-65.
- Stem Cell Bioprocessing and Biomanufacturing. Todd C. McDevitt. Stem Cell Engineering. 2014 Jan 1; 99-117.
- Scalable culture of human pluripotent stem cells in 3D. McDevitt TC. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Dec 24; 110(52):20852-3.
- Microfluidic-based patterning of embryonic stem cells for in vitro development studies. Suri S, Singh A, Nguyen AH, Bratt-Leal AM, McDevitt TC, Lu H. Lab Chip. 2013 Dec 07; 13(23):4617-24.
- Engineering three-dimensional stem cell morphogenesis for the development of tissue models and scalable regenerative therapeutics. Kinney MA, Hookway TA, Wang Y, McDevitt TC. Ann Biomed Eng. 2014 Feb; 42(2):352-67.
- Mechanical stiffness as an improved single-cell indicator of osteoblastic human mesenchymal stem cell differentiation. Bongiorno T, Kazlow J, Mezencev R, Griffiths S, Olivares-Navarrete R, McDonald JF, Schwartz Z, Boyan BD, McDevitt TC, Sulchek T. J Biomech. 2014 Jun 27; 47(9):2197-204.
- Pre-conditioning mesenchymal stromal cell spheroids for immunomodulatory paracrine factor secretion. Zimmermann JA, McDevitt TC. Cytotherapy. 2014 Mar; 16(3):331-45.
- Alginate encapsulation parameters influence the differentiation of microencapsulated embryonic stem cell aggregates. Wilson JL, Najia MA, Saeed R, McDevitt TC. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2014 Mar; 111(3):618-31.
- Engineering the emergence of stem cell therapeutics. Healy KE, McDevitt TC, Murphy WL, Nerem RM. Sci Transl Med. 2013 Oct 16; 5(207):207ed17.
- Molecular engineering of glycosaminoglycan chemistry for biomolecule delivery. Miller T, Goude MC, McDevitt TC, Temenoff JS. Acta Biomater. 2014 Apr; 10(4):1705-19.
- Human platelet lysate stimulates high-passage and senescent human multipotent mesenchymal stromal cell growth and rejuvenation in vitro. Griffiths S, Baraniak PR, Copland IB, Nerem RM, McDevitt TC. Cytotherapy. 2013 Dec; 15(12):1469-83.
- Familial breast cancer genetic testing in the West of Ireland. McVeigh TP, Irwin R, Cody N, Miller N, McDevitt T, Sweeney KJ, Green A, Kerin MJ. Ir J Med Sci. 2014 Jun; 183(2):199-206.
- A microparticle approach to morphogen delivery within pluripotent stem cell aggregates. Bratt-Leal AM, Nguyen AH, Hammersmith KA, Singh A, McDevitt TC. Biomaterials. 2013 Oct; 34(30):7227-35.
- Temporal modulation of ß-catenin signaling by multicellular aggregation kinetics impacts embryonic stem cell cardiomyogenesis. Kinney MA, Sargent CY, McDevitt TC. Stem Cells Dev. 2013 Oct 01; 22(19):2665-77.
- Architectural protein subclasses shape 3D organization of genomes during lineage commitment. Phillips-Cremins JE, Sauria ME, Sanyal A, Gerasimova TI, Lajoie BR, Bell JS, Ong CT, Hookway TA, Guo C, Sun Y, Bland MJ, Wagstaff W, Dalton S, McDevitt TC, Sen R, Dekker J, Taylor J, Corces VG. Cell. 2013 Jun 06; 153(6):1281-95.
- Adhesion strength-based, label-free isolation of human pluripotent stem cells. Singh A, Suri S, Lee T, Chilton JM, Cooke MT, Chen W, Fu J, Stice SL, Lu H, McDevitt TC, García AJ. Nat Methods. 2013 May; 10(5):438-44.
- Spatial pattern dynamics of 3D stem cell loss of pluripotency via rules-based computational modeling. White DE, Kinney MA, McDevitt TC, Kemp ML. PLoS Comput Biol. 2013; 9(3):e1002952.
- Stem cell microencapsulation for phenotypic control, bioprocessing, and transplantation. Wilson JL, McDevitt TC. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2013 Mar; 110(3):667-82.
- Chapter II.1.7 Stem Cells Key Concepts. Richard L. Carpenedo, Todd C. McDevitt. Biomaterials Science. 2013 Jan 1; 487-495.
- Pluripotent Stem Cells. John Fisher, Antonios Mikos, Joseph Bronzino, Donald Peterson, Todd McDevitt, Melissa Kinney. Tissue Engineering. 2012 Dec 11; 1-26.
- Emerging strategies for spatiotemporal control of stem cell fate and morphogenesis. Kinney MA, McDevitt TC. Trends Biotechnol. 2013 Feb; 31(2):78-84.
- Hydrodynamic modulation of pluripotent stem cells. Fridley KM, Kinney MA, McDevitt TC. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2012 Nov 20; 3(6):45.
- Gene expression signatures of extracellular matrix and growth factors during embryonic stem cell differentiation. Nair R, Ngangan AV, Kemp ML, McDevitt TC. PLoS One. 2012; 7(10):e42580.
- Systematic analysis of embryonic stem cell differentiation in hydrodynamic environments with controlled embryoid body size. Kinney MA, Saeed R, McDevitt TC. Integr Biol (Camb). 2012 Jun; 4(6):641-50.
- Histone h1 depletion impairs embryonic stem cell differentiation. Zhang Y, Cooke M, Panjwani S, Cao K, Krauth B, Ho PY, Medrzycki M, Berhe DT, Pan C, McDevitt TC, Fan Y. PLoS Genet. 2012; 8(5):e1002691.
- Stiffening of human mesenchymal stem cell spheroid microenvironments induced by incorporation of gelatin microparticles. Baraniak PR, Cooke MT, Saeed R, Kinney MA, Fridley KM, McDevitt TC. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2012 Jul; 11:63-71.
- Osteogenic differentiation of stem cells alters vitamin D receptor expression. Olivares-Navarrete R, Sutha K, Hyzy SL, Hutton DL, Schwartz Z, McDevitt T, Boyan BD. Stem Cells Dev. 2012 Jul 01; 21(10):1726-35.
- Systematic engineering of 3D pluripotent stem cell niches to guide blood development. Purpura KA, Bratt-Leal AM, Hammersmith KA, McDevitt TC, Zandstra PW. Biomaterials. 2012 Feb; 33(5):1271-80.
- Magnetic manipulation and spatial patterning of multi-cellular stem cell aggregates. Bratt-Leal AM, Kepple KL, Carpenedo RL, Cooke MT, McDevitt TC. Integr Biol (Camb). 2011 Dec; 3(12):1224-32.
- Scaffold-free culture of mesenchymal stem cell spheroids in suspension preserves multilineage potential. Baraniak PR, McDevitt TC. Cell Tissue Res. 2012 Mar; 347(3):701-11.
- The multiparametric effects of hydrodynamic environments on stem cell culture. Kinney MA, Sargent CY, McDevitt TC. Tissue Eng Part B Rev. 2011 Aug; 17(4):249-62.
- Regenerating Function In Vivo with Myocytes Derived from Embryonic Stem Cells. Priya R. Baraniak, Todd C. McDevitt. Regenerating the Heart. 2011 Jan 1; 25-36.
- Development of nano- and microscale chondroitin sulfate particles for controlled growth factor delivery. Lim JJ, Hammoudi TM, Bratt-Leal AM, Hamilton SK, Kepple KL, Bloodworth NC, McDevitt TC, Temenoff JS. Acta Biomater. 2011 Mar; 7(3):986-95.
- Incorporation of biomaterials in multicellular aggregates modulates pluripotent stem cell differentiation. Bratt-Leal AM, Carpenedo RL, Ungrin MD, Zandstra PW, McDevitt TC. Biomaterials. 2011 Jan; 32(1):48-56.
- Microsphere size effects on embryoid body incorporation and embryonic stem cell differentiation. Carpenedo RL, Seaman SA, McDevitt TC. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2010 Aug; 94(2):466-75.
- Hydrodynamic modulation of embryonic stem cell differentiation by rotary orbital suspension culture. Sargent CY, Berguig GY, Kinney MA, Hiatt LA, Carpenedo RL, Berson RE, McDevitt TC. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2010 Feb 15; 105(3):611-26.
- Integration of Biomaterials into 3D Stem Cell Microenvironments. Andres Bratt-Leal, Richard Carpenedo, Todd McDevitt. Biomaterials as Stem Cell Niche. 2010 Jan 1; 2:45-59.
- Stem cell paracrine actions and tissue regeneration. Baraniak PR, McDevitt TC. Regen Med. 2010 Jan; 5(1):121-43.
- Synthesis and organization of hyaluronan and versican by embryonic stem cells undergoing embryoid body differentiation. Shukla S, Nair R, Rolle MW, Braun KR, Chan CK, Johnson PY, Wight TN, McDevitt TC. J Histochem Cytochem. 2010 Apr; 58(4):345-58.
- Cardiomyogenic differentiation of embryoid bodies is promoted by rotary orbital suspension culture. Sargent CY, Berguig GY, McDevitt TC. Tissue Eng Part A. 2009 Feb; 15(2):331-42.
- Homogeneous and organized differentiation within embryoid bodies induced by microsphere-mediated delivery of small molecules. Carpenedo RL, Bratt-Leal AM, Marklein RA, Seaman SA, Bowen NJ, McDonald JF, McDevitt TC. Biomaterials. 2009 May; 30(13):2507-15.
- Engineering the embryoid body microenvironment to direct embryonic stem cell differentiation. Bratt-Leal AM, Carpenedo RL, McDevitt TC. Biotechnol Prog. 2009 Jan-Feb; 25(1):43-51.
- Acellular matrices derived from differentiating embryonic stem cells. Nair R, Shukla S, McDevitt TC. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2008 Dec 15; 87(4):1075-85.
- Acellularization of embryoid bodies via physical disruption methods. Ngangan AV, McDevitt TC. Biomaterials. 2009 Feb; 30(6):1143-9.
- Innovation in the culture and derivation of pluripotent human stem cells. McDevitt TC, Palecek SP. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2008 Oct; 19(5):527-33.
- Efficacy of solvent extraction methods for acellularization of embryoid bodies. Nair R, Ngangan AV, McDevitt TC. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed. 2008; 19(6):801-19.
- Engineering the 3D microenvironment of embryonic stem cells undergoing differentiation. McDevitt TC, Carpenedo RL, Sargent CY, Berguig GY, Marklein RA, Seaman S. Biomed Mater Eng. 2008; 18(4-5):179-81.
- Rotary suspension culture enhances the efficiency, yield, and homogeneity of embryoid body differentiation. Carpenedo RL, Sargent CY, McDevitt TC. Stem Cells. 2007 Sep; 25(9):2224-34.
- Proliferation of cardiomyocytes derived from human embryonic stem cells is mediated via the IGF/PI 3-kinase/Akt signaling pathway. McDevitt TC, Laflamme MA, Murry CE. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2005 Dec; 39(6):865-73.
- Spatially organized layers of cardiomyocytes on biodegradable polyurethane films for myocardial repair. McDevitt TC, Woodhouse KA, Hauschka SD, Murry CE, Stayton PS. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2003 Sep 01; 66(3):586-95.
- Structural characterization and comparison of RGD cell-adhesion recognition sites engineered into streptavidin. Le Trong I, McDevitt TC, Nelson KE, Stayton PS, Stenkamp RE. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2003 May; 59(Pt 5):828-34.
- In vitro generation of differentiated cardiac myofibers on micropatterned laminin surfaces. McDevitt TC, Angello JC, Whitney ML, Reinecke H, Hauschka SD, Murry CE, Stayton PS. J Biomed Mater Res. 2002 Jun 05; 60(3):472-9.
- Micro-Scale Cell Patterning on Nonfouling Plasma Polymerized Tetraglyme Coatings by Protein Microcontact Printing. Y. Vickie Pan, Todd C. McDevitt, Tae Kyun Kim, Deborah Leach-Scampavia, Patrick S. Stayton, Denice D. Denton, Buddy D. Ratner. Plasmas and Polymers. 2002 Jun 1; 7(2):171-183.
- Quantitative interrogation of micropatterned biomolecules by surface force microscopy. Garrison MD, McDevitt TC, Luginbühl R, Giachelli CM, Stayton P, Ratner BD. Ultramicroscopy. 2000 Feb; 82(1-4):193-202.
- Smart and biofunctional streptavidin. Stayton PS, Nelson KE, McDevitt TC, Bulmus V, Shimoboji T, Ding Z, Hoffman AS. Biomol Eng. 1999 Dec 31; 16(1-4):93-9.
- Constrained cell recognition peptides engineered into streptavidin. McDevitt TC, Nelson KE, Stayton PS. Biotechnol Prog. 1999 May-Jun; 15(3):391-6.