The Stem Cell Core offers a fully functional tissue culture facility with specialized instruments, media, reagents, cell lines, and expertise for new or established researchers to perform cutting-edge stem cell research. Our core also provides comprehensive human induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cell–related training, consultations, and standard and customized scientific services to stem cell researchers.
Stem Cell Core Staff
- Standard quality control (mycoplasma screening, pluripotency, genetic stability)
- Training in human iPS cell culture, reprogramming, cardiac differentiations
- Cell banking and distribution of human iPS cells and skin fibroblasts
- Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cell (PBMC) isolation from blood samples
- iPS cell reprogramming from human PBMCs and fibroblasts
- CRISPR-mediated gene editing in iPS cells
- Human iPS cell lineage differentiations
- Consultations, collaborations, and educational seminars on iPS cell and gene-editing topics
Research Technologist II
The Stem Cell Core hosts a number of events from training to product demos.
The Stem Cell Core can provide assistance to researchers new to iPS cell or genome engineering technologies to establish their research projects in these fields. In addition, we support researchers by providing a fully equipped and functional facility, along with a comprehensive selection of iPS cell–related services, so that researchers can focus solely on their experiments.
Reprogramming patient blood and fibroblasts into iPS cells
Genome engineering of iPS cell lines
Directed differentiation into cell lineages
Phenotypic assays for cell health and function
- Use of the Stem Cell Core facility is subject to fees charged as an add-on cost to in-house media purchased; alternatively, fees are charged via the purchase of a “sticker”. The add-on cost covers the use of plastics, PPE, some commonly used reagents, and standard equipment usage.
- Costs/fees for media, reagents, scientific services, and specialized equipment usage are listed on iLab. An iLab account is required to view specific pricing.
- The first 30-minute consultation is free of charge.
- For all fee inquiries or to set up an iLab account, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For custom scientific project inquiries or inquiries about use of specialized instruments, email email@example.com.
- To schedule new consultations and service requests, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Once accepted, log into your Stem Cell Core iLab account and request the service.
- To schedule equipment use, visit iLab and book in the calendar.
Sox2 and Klf4 as the Functional Core in Pluripotency Induction without Exogenous Oct4. An, Z., Liu, P., Zheng, J., et al. 2019. Cell Reports 29(7), p. 1986–2000.e8.
Differentiation of V2a interneurons from human pluripotent stem cells. Butts, J.C., McCreedy, D.A., Martinez-Vargas, J.A., et al. 2017. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 114(19), pp. 4969–4974.
Oligogenic inheritance of a human heart disease involving a genetic modifier. Gifford, C.A., Ranade, S.S., Samarakoon, R., et al. 2019. Science 364(6443), pp. 865–870.
BMP-SMAD-ID promotes reprogramming to pluripotency by inhibiting p16/INK4A-dependent senescence. Hayashi, Y., Hsiao, E.C., Sami, S., et al. 2016. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 113(46), pp. 13057–13062.
Miniaturized iPS-Cell-Derived Cardiac Muscles for Physiologically Relevant Drug Response Analyses. Huebsch, N., Loskill, P., Deveshwar, N., et al. 2016. Scientific Reports 6, p. 24726.
Automated Video-Based Analysis of Contractility and Calcium Flux in Human-Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Cardiomyocytes Cultured over Different Spatial Scales. Huebsch, N., Loskill, P., Mandegar, M.A., et al. 2015. Tissue Engineering. Part C, Methods 21(5), pp. 467–479.
A BAG3 chaperone complex maintains cardiomyocyte function during proteotoxic stress. Judge, L.M., Perez-Bermejo, J.A., Truong, A., et al. 2017. Journal of Clinical Investigation Insight 2(14). PMC5518554
Spatiotemporal mosaic self-patterning of pluripotent stem cells using CRISPR interference. Libby, A.R., Joy, D.A., So, P.-L., et al. 2018. eLife 7.
CRISPR Interference Efficiently Induces Specific and Reversible Gene Silencing in Human iPSCs. Mandegar, M.A., Huebsch, N., Frolov, E.B., et al. 2016. Cell Stem Cell 18(4), pp. 541–553.
Isolation of single-base genome-edited human iPS cells without antibiotic selection. Miyaoka, Y., Chan, A.H., Judge, L.M., et al. 2014. Nature Methods 11(3), pp. 291–293.
Unbiased detection of CRISPR off-targets in vivo using DISCOVER-Seq. Wienert, B., Wyman, S.K., Richardson, C.D., et al. 2019. Science 364(6437), pp. 286–289.
The Cellular NMD Pathway Restricts Zika Virus Infection and Is Targeted by the Viral Capsid Protein. Fontaine, K.A., Leon, K.E., Khalid, M.M, Tomar, S., Jimenez-Morales, D., Dunlap, M., Kaye, J.A., Shah, P.S., Finkbeiner, S., Krogan, N.J., Ott. M. 2018. mBio. Nov-Dec; 9(6) PMCID: PMC6222128
Efficient CRISPR/Cas9-Based Genome Engineering in Human Pluripotent Stem Cells. Kime, C., Mandegar, M. A., Srivastava, D., Yamanaka, S., Conklin, B. R., & Rand, T. A. (2016). Current Protocols in Human Genetics, 88, 21.4.1–21.4.23.
Human disease modeling reveals integrated transcriptional and epigenetic mechanisms of NOTCH1 haploinsufficiency. Theodoris, C. V., Li, M., White, M. P., Liu, L., He, D., Pollard, K. S., Bruneau, B. G., & Srivastava, D. (2015). Cell, 160(6), 1072–1086.
I would like to use the Stem Cell Core facility. How do I get started?
Contact us at email@example.com.
How do I pay for services?
Consumables, services, and instrument usage are paid via iLab. We would set up an iLab account for you and you would submit a fund number (PO number) to order through your account.
Do you provide customized services or collaborations?
Yes, email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your project.
What is the wait time for scheduling my project?
It depends on the project request and current workload of the Stem Cell Core. We generally require at least 2 weeks notice to schedule new projects. Contact the core early to schedule your project.
Will I have access to my iPS cell cultures during off-peak times?
You may be eligible for Gladstone badge access, which will give you access to the facility during off-peak times.