Justin Eyquem, PhD, is an affiliate investigator at Gladstone Institutes. He is also an assistant professor of medicine in the Division of Hematology and Oncology at UC San Francisco (UCSF).
Eyquem seeks to optimize genetically modified immune T cells known as CAR-T cells to fight cancers and other diseases. To this end, he has been improving methods to edit the genome of human CAR-T cells and reprogram their functions. He is also developing animal models to assess their therapeutic efficacy in preclinical trials, and participating in multiple collaborations to facilitate their manufacturing for clinical use.
He holds a Master’s degrees in bioengineering and genetics from the Paris School of Agronomy (AgroParisTech) and the University Paris VII, respectively. He earned his PhD in immunology and molecular biology from University Paris VII, and trained as a postdoctoral fellow in the laboratory of Michel Sadelain, MD, PhD, at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. He joined UCSF as a Parker Fellow in 2019, and the Gladstone-UCSF Institute of Genomic Immunology in 2022.
Eyquem is a member of the Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy, Bakar ImmunoX, and the UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center. He is also co-founder and scientific advisor for Mnemo Therapeutics.
- The surfaceome of multiple myeloma cells suggests potential immunotherapeutic strategies and protein markers of drug resistance. Ferguson ID, Patiño-Escobar B, Tuomivaara ST, Lin YT, Nix MA, Leung KK, Kasap C, Ramos E, Nieves Vasquez W, Talbot A, Hale M, Naik A, Kishishita A, Choudhry P, Lopez-Girona A, Miao W, Wong SW, Wolf JL, Martin TG, Shah N, Vandenberg S, Prakash S, Besse L, Driessen C, Posey AD, Mullins RD, Eyquem J, Wells JA, Wiita AP. Nat Commun. 2022 Jul 15; 13(1):4121.
- HLA-independent T cell receptors for targeting tumors with low antigen density. Mansilla-Soto J, Eyquem J, Haubner S, Hamieh M, Feucht J, Paillon N, Zucchetti AE, Li Z, Sjöstrand M, Lindenbergh PL, Saetersmoen M, Dobrin A, Maurin M, Iyer A, Garcia Angus A, Miele MM, Zhao Z, Giavridis T, van der Stegen SJC, Tamzalit F, Rivière I, Huse M, Hendrickson RC, Hivroz C, Sadelain M. Nat Med. 2022 02; 28(2):345-352.
- The CD28-Transmembrane Domain Mediates Chimeric Antigen Receptor Heterodimerization With CD28. Muller YD, Nguyen DP, Ferreira LMR, Ho P, Raffin C, Valencia RVB, Congrave-Wilson Z, Roth TL, Eyquem J, Van Gool F, Marson A, Perez L, Wells JA, Bluestone JA, Tang Q. Front Immunol. 2021; 12:639818.
- CAR T cell trogocytosis and cooperative killing regulate tumour antigen escape. Hamieh M, Dobrin A, Cabriolu A, van der Stegen SJC, Giavridis T, Mansilla-Soto J, Eyquem J, Zhao Z, Whitlock BM, Miele MM, Li Z, Cunanan KM, Huse M, Hendrickson RC, Wang X, Rivière I, Sadelain M. Nature. 2019 04; 568(7750):112-116.
- Publisher Correction: Calibration of CAR activation potential directs alternative T cell fates and therapeutic potency. Feucht J, Sun J, Eyquem J, Ho YJ, Zhao Z, Leibold J, Dobrin A, Cabriolu A, Hamieh M, Sadelain M. Nat Med. 2019 Mar; 25(3):530.
- Calibration of CAR activation potential directs alternative T cell fates and therapeutic potency. Feucht J, Sun J, Eyquem J, Ho YJ, Zhao Z, Leibold J, Dobrin A, Cabriolu A, Hamieh M, Sadelain M. Nat Med. 2019 01; 25(1):82-88.
- Low-Dose Radiation Conditioning Enables CAR T Cells to Mitigate Antigen Escape. DeSelm C, Palomba ML, Yahalom J, Hamieh M, Eyquem J, Rajasekhar VK, Sadelain M. Mol Ther. 2018 11 07; 26(11):2542-2552.
- Antibody with Infinite Affinity for In Vivo Tracking of Genetically Engineered Lymphocytes. Krebs S, Ahad A, Carter LM, Eyquem J, Brand C, Bell M, Ponomarev V, Reiner T, Meares CF, Gottschalk S, Sadelain M, Larson SM, Weber WA. J Nucl Med. 2018 12; 59(12):1894-1900.
- CAR T cell-induced cytokine release syndrome is mediated by macrophages and abated by IL-1 blockade. Giavridis T, van der Stegen SJC, Eyquem J, Hamieh M, Piersigilli A, Sadelain M. Nat Med. 2018 06; 24(6):731-738.
- Integrating Proteomics and Transcriptomics for Systematic Combinatorial Chimeric Antigen Receptor Therapy of AML. Perna F, Berman SH, Soni RK, Mansilla-Soto J, Eyquem J, Hamieh M, Hendrickson RC, Brennan CW, Sadelain M. Cancer Cell. 2017 10 09; 32(4):506-519.e5.
- Targeting a CAR to the TRAC locus with CRISPR/Cas9 enhances tumour rejection. Eyquem J, Mansilla-Soto J, Giavridis T, van der Stegen SJ, Hamieh M, Cunanan KM, Odak A, Gönen M, Sadelain M. Nature. 2017 03 02; 543(7643):113-117.
- Multiplex Genome-Edited T-cell Manufacturing Platform for "Off-the-Shelf" Adoptive T-cell Immunotherapies. Poirot L, Philip B, Schiffer-Mannioui C, Le Clerre D, Chion-Sotinel I, Derniame S, Potrel P, Bas C, Lemaire L, Galetto R, Lebuhotel C, Eyquem J, Cheung GW, Duclert A, Gouble A, Arnould S, Peggs K, Pule M, Scharenberg AM, Smith J. Cancer Res. 2015 Sep 15; 75(18):3853-64.
- A platform for rapid prototyping of synthetic gene networks in mammalian cells. Duportet X, Wroblewska L, Guye P, Li Y, Eyquem J, Rieders J, Rimchala T, Batt G, Weiss R. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014 Dec 01; 42(21):13440-51.
- Characterization of three loci for homologous gene targeting and transgene expression. Eyquem J, Poirot L, Galetto R, Scharenberg AM, Smith J. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2013 Aug; 110(8):2225-35.