Julia Carnevale, MD, is an affiliate investigator at Gladstone Institutes. She is also an assistant professor of hematology and oncology in the Department of Medicine at UC San Francisco (UCSF), and an attending physician in the UCSF Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology Clinic.
During her fellowship training in oncology at UCSF, she pioneered new methods to identify novel therapeutic targets for cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. Her current research is focused on reprogramming immune cells to use as cancer therapies. Carnevale established a new method that allowed, for the first time, for genome-wide CRISPR screens in primary human T cells. This method has helped her identify key genes in immune cells that control their ability to kill both solid tumors and blood cancers. She is also an inventor on a patent describing this approach.
Carnevale completed her bachelor’s degree at Stanford University and her medical training at Harvard University. She completed her internal medicine residency and oncology fellowship training at UCSF. She is the recipient of a number of notable awards, including a Mentored Clinical Scientist Research Career Development Award (K08) from the National Cancer Institute, a Career Awards for Medical Scientists from the Burroughs Wellcome Fund, and a DISC 2 Award Quest Awards from the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine.
- Genome-wide CRISPR screens of T cell exhaustion identify chromatin remodeling factors that limit T cell persistence. Belk JA, Yao W, Ly N, Freitas KA, Chen YT, Shi Q, Valencia AM, Shifrut E, Kale N, Yost KE, Duffy CV, Daniel B, Hwee MA, Miao Z, Ashworth A, Mackall CL, Marson A, Carnevale J, Vardhana SA, Satpathy AT. Cancer Cell. 2022 Jun 17.
- The Additional Diagnostic Benefit of Pancreatic Cancer Molecular Profiling After Germline Testing. Walker EJ, Blanco AM, Carnevale J, Cinar P, Collisson EA, Tempero MA, Ko AH. Pancreas. 2022 Jun 11.
- Hypoxia Is a Dominant Remodeler of the Effector T Cell Surface Proteome Relative to Activation and Regulatory T Cell Suppression. Byrnes JR, Weeks AM, Shifrut E, Carnevale J, Kirkemo L, Ashworth A, Marson A, Wells JA. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2022 04; 21(4):100217.
- Implementation of an Embedded In-Clinic Genetic Testing Station to Optimize Germline Testing for Patients with Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma. Walker EJ, Goldberg D, Gordon KM, Pedley C, Carnevale J, Cinar P, Collisson EA, Tempero MA, Ko AH, Blanco AM, Dhawan M. Oncologist. 2021 11; 26(11):e1982-e1991.
- 512O Interim results from a phase II study of the ATR inhibitor ceralasertib in ARID1A-deficient and ARID1A-intact advanced solid tumor malignancies. R. Aggarwal, S. Umetsu, M. Dhawan, J. Grabowsky, J. Carnevale, M. Howell, L. Wilch, J. Chapman, E. Alvarez, S. Calabrese, S. Smith, N. Shah, E. Dean, P. Munster, E. Collisson. Annals of Oncology. 2021 Sep 1; 32:s583.
- Durable response after immune checkpoint inhibitor-related diabetes in mismatch repair-deficient pancreatic cancer. Tsang ES, Walker EJ, Carnevale J, Fisher GA, Ko AH. Immunotherapy. 2021 10; 13(15):1249-1254.
- Investigating tumor molecular profiling as a possible contributor to racial/ethnic disparities in pancreatic cancer. Evan Justin Walker, Sorbarikor Piawah, Ann Griffin, Julia C. Carnevale, Pelin Cinar, Eric Andrew Collisson, Margaret A. Tempero, Andrew H. Ko. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2021 May 20; 39(15_suppl):6522-6522.
- The marginal diagnostic benefit of pancreatic cancer molecular profiling after germline testing. Evan Justin Walker, Amie Blanco, Julia C. Carnevale, Pelin Cinar, Eric Andrew Collisson, Margaret A. Tempero, Andrew H. Ko. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2021 May 20; 39(15_suppl):10513-10513.
- Phase II study of pembrolizumab plus capecitabine and bevacizumab in microsatellite stable (MSS) metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC): Interim analysis. Andrea Grace Bocobo, Renee Wang, Spencer Behr, Julia C. Carnevale, Pelin Cinar, Eric Andrew Collisson, Lawrence Fong, Wesley Allen Kidder, Andrew H. Ko, Kanti Pallav Kolli, Megan Kennedy, Angela Laffan, Sheila Lindsay, Sneha Nalla, Gabriel Schwartz, Julia Whitman, Patricia Zendejas, Li Zhang, Katherine Van Loon, Chloe Evelyn Atreya. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2021 Jan 20; 39(3_suppl):77-77.
- Combined Immunotherapy and Hypofractionated Radiotherapy for Metastatic Cancers. S. Sinha, C. Greene, R.K. Kelley, P. Cinar, A.P. Venook, C. Atreya, J. Gordan, J. Carnevale, M. Anwar, M. Feng. International Journal of Radiation Oncology • Biology • Physics. 2020 Nov 1; 108(3):e648.
- 3:54 PM Abstract No. 243 Phase I Prospective Trial of TAS-102 (trifluride and tipiracil) and radioembolization with 90Y resin microspheres for chemo-refractory colorectal liver metastases. N. Fidelman, C. Atreya, M. Griffith, A. Milloy, J. Carnevale, P. Cinar, A. Venook, K. Van Loon. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. 2020 Mar 1; 31(3):s109.
- Phase I prospective trial of TAS-102 (trifluride and tipiracil) and radioembolization with 90Y resin microspheres for chemo-refractory colorectal liver metastases. Nicholas Fidelman, Chloe Evelyn Atreya, Madeline J Griffith, Marion Alexandra Milloy, Julia C. Carnevale, Pelin Cinar, Alan P. Venook, Katherine Van Loon. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2020 Feb 1; 38(4_suppl):110-110.
- Referral frequency, attrition rate, and outcomes of germline testing in patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Walker EJ, Carnevale J, Pedley C, Blanco A, Chan S, Collisson EA, Tempero MA, Ko AH. Fam Cancer. 2019 04; 18(2):241-251.
- Genome-wide CRISPR Screens in Primary Human T Cells Reveal Key Regulators of Immune Function. Shifrut E, Carnevale J, Tobin V, Roth TL, Woo JM, Bui CT, Li PJ, Diolaiti ME, Ashworth A, Marson A. Cell. 2018 12 13; 175(7):1958-1971.e15.
- Reprogramming human T cell function and specificity with non-viral genome targeting. Roth TL, Puig-Saus C, Yu R, Shifrut E, Carnevale J, Li PJ, Hiatt J, Saco J, Krystofinski P, Li H, Tobin V, Nguyen DN, Lee MR, Putnam AL, Ferris AL, Chen JW, Schickel JN, Pellerin L, Carmody D, Alkorta-Aranburu G, Del Gaudio D, Matsumoto H, Morell M, Mao Y, Cho M, Quadros RM, Gurumurthy CB, Smith B, Haugwitz M, Hughes SH, Weissman JS, Schumann K, Esensten JH, May AP, Ashworth A, Kupfer GM, Greeley SAW, Bacchetta R, Meffre E, Roncarolo MG, Romberg N, Herold KC, Ribas A, Leonetti MD, Marson A. Nature. 2018 07; 559(7714):405-409.
- Referral patterns and attrition rate for germline testing in pancreatic cancer (PC) patients. Evan Justin Walker, Julia C. Carnevale, Christina Pedley, Amie Blanco, Salina Chan, Eric Andrew Collisson, Andrew H. Ko. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2018 May 20; 36(15_suppl):1591-1591.
- Current and Emerging Therapies in Pancreatic Cancer. Editors: Tanios Bekaii-Saab and Bassel Le-Rayes Carnevale J, Ko A.. . Targeting the Tumor Microenvironment. 2018; 235-256.
- Targeting the Tumor Microenvironment. Julia Carnevale, Andrew H. Ko. Current and Emerging Therapies in Pancreatic Cancer. 2018 Jan 1; 235-256.
- The Challenge of Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma. Carnevale J, Rubenstein JL. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2016 Dec; 30(6):1293-1316.
- MM-398 (nanoliposomal irinotecan): emergence of a novel therapy for the treatment of advanced pancreatic cancer. Carnevale J, Ko AH. Future Oncol. 2016 Feb; 12(4):453-64.
- Assessing the Significance of BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutations in Pancreatic Cancer. Carnevale J, Ashworth A. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Oct 01; 33(28):3080-1.
- Exploring the association of succinate dehydrogenase complex mutations with lymphoid malignancies. Renella R, Carnevale J, Schneider KA, Hornick JL, Rana HQ, Janeway KA. Fam Cancer. 2014 Sep; 13(3):507-11.
- Progress in central nervous system lymphomas. Wang CC, Carnevale J, Rubenstein JL. Br J Haematol. 2014 Aug; 166(3):311-25.
- SYK regulates mTOR signaling in AML. Carnevale J, Ross L, Puissant A, Banerji V, Stone RM, DeAngelo DJ, Ross KN, Stegmaier K. Leukemia. 2013 Nov; 27(11):2118-28.
- The crimson care collaborative: a student-faculty initiative to increase medical students' early exposure to primary care. Berman R, Powe C, Carnevale J, Chao A, Knudsen J, Nguyen A, Edgman-Levitan S. Acad Med. 2012 May; 87(5):651-5.
- Knowledge base and caretaker-child communication about HIV in peri-urban schoolchildren of Lusaka, Zambia. Carnevale J, Gropper AB, Agnew-Blais J, Mimiaga MJ, Mhango A, Bail R, Ngoma M. AIDS Care. 2011 May; 23(5):646-53.
- Schistosomiasis haematobium prevalence and risk factors in a school-age population of peri-urban Lusaka, Zambia. Agnew-Blais J, Carnevale J, Gropper A, Shilika E, Bail R, Ngoma M. J Trop Pediatr. 2010 Aug; 56(4):247-53.
- The development of sentence interpretation: effects of perceptual, attentional and semantic interference. Leech R, Aydelott J, Symons G, Carnevale J, Dick F. Dev Sci. 2007 Nov; 10(6):794-813.