In 2018, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine released the Consensus Study Report, “Sexual Harassment of Women: Climate, Culture, and Consequences in Academic Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine,” outlining the prevalence and impact of sexual harassment in academia on the career advancement of women in the scientific, technical, and medical workforce.
Join three members of the committee that authored the report to:
- Debunk common beliefs in our culture around sexual harassment
- Address lesser-known facts about sexual harassment
This presentation will serve as a jumping-off point to discuss sexual harassment.
About the Speakers
- Kate Clancy has done pioneering work on sexual harassment in science, and has testified before Congress, among other accomplishments.
- Lilia Cortina’s research focuses on the process by which sexual harassment unfolds, investigating experiences of gender disparagement, unwanted sexual overtures, and sexual coercion in organizations.
- Vicki Magley is a leader in the field, having conducted research on sexual harassment for nearly three decades.
Critical Conversations was launched in 2020 as a way for Gladstone community members to challenge and empower themselves by considering different ways of thinking through the lens of others. These discussions will encourage you to reframe or shift your perspective. All community members are encouraged to participate and continue the dialogue outside this forum.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Gladstone, we are committed to providing events and professional development activities that resonate with our community’s diverse members. Our goal is to develop creative programming that encompasses a wide variety of ideas and perspectives to inspire, educate, and engage with everyone within our walls.
We want to effect positive change through our events and activities by providing a platform for discussions on important topics related to increasing diversity and inclusiveness in the sciences.