Sudha Krishnamurthy, PhD, from Gladstone Institutes will present.
Learn how an informational interview should be an integral part of your networking, career exploration, and job-hunting plan in this workshop conducted by Sudha Krishnamurthy, Gladstone’s director of postdoctoral and graduate student affairs.
What Is an Informational Interview?
An informational interview involves talking with people who are currently working in the field to gain a better understanding of an occupation or industry—and to build a network of contacts in that field. If you’re looking for a job, exploring career paths, or trying to advance in your current career, you can benefit from informational interviews—one of the most effective ways to build your professional network. But what should you say when you’re actually in one? Which questions will help you gain the most information? Are there any topics you should avoid? And how should you ask for more help if you need it? In this course, you will learn the six steps to informational interviewing, how to get started, what to expect and and how to follow-up.
Benefits of Informational Interviewing
- Get firsthand, relevant information about the realities of working within a particular field, industry, or position. This kind of information is not always available online.
- Find out about career paths you did not know existed.
- Get tips about how to prepare for and enter a given career.
- Learn what it’s like to work at a specific organization.
- Gain insider knowledge that can help you in writing your résumé, interviewing, and more.
- Initiate a professional relationship and expand your network of contacts in a specific career field; meet people who may forward job leads to you in the future.
This event is open to the greater Gladstone and UCSF communities.
Offered by Gladstone’s Postdoctoral and Graduate Student Education and Research Development Affairs, the Industry Research Seminar is designed to help postdoctoral scholars, graduate students, and scientific staff with the skills and resources to successfully transition into an industry position.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Gladstone, we are committed to providing events and professional development activities that resonate with our community’s diverse members. Our goal is to develop creative programming that encompasses a wide variety of ideas and perspectives to inspire, educate, and engage with everyone within our walls.
We want to effect positive change through our events and activities by providing a platform for discussions on important topics related to increasing diversity and inclusiveness in the sciences.