Lauren Celano, Propel Careers
Gladstone welcomes Lauren Celano, co-founder and CEO of Propel Careers, who will advise how to prepare and conduct an effective job search.
What should every job seeker ask themselves before they begin their search? This presentation will provide strategies to ensure your focused search on roles and companies align with your values, interests, and skills. It will also explain how you can use the Independent Development Plan and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator to identify the roles and organizations that best fit your goals and personality.
The presentation will also cover:
- How to identify and research organizations through online searching, LinkedIn, conferences, press releases, new sources, networking and other sources.
- How to create a job search checklist and why it’s valuable to formally track your progress over time to maintain focus and accelerate your search.
- The “hidden job market” and how organizations and recruitment firms use résumé databases and LinkedIn to connect with talent.
- The value of a referral when applying for a job.
- Time frames for job searching, including when you should start looking and how long you have to decide on an offer once you receive one.
The presentation will be from 2:30 to 3:30pm, followed by a question and answer period from 3:30 to 4:00pm.
Upcoming Events in This Industry Research Series—Stay Tuned!
- Informational Interviewing
- Résumé Workshop
- How to Work with Recruiters
- Industry Job Talk
- Negotiating Your Industry Job
Offered by Gladstone’s Postdoctoral and Graduate Student Education and Research Development Affairs, the Industry Research Seminar is designed to help postdoctoral scholars, graduate students, and scientific staff with the skills and resources to successfully transition into an industry position.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Gladstone, we are committed to providing events and professional development activities that resonate with our community’s diverse members. Our goal is to develop creative programming that encompasses a wide variety of ideas and perspectives to inspire, educate, and engage with everyone within our walls.
We want to effect positive change through our events and activities by providing a platform for discussions on important topics related to increasing diversity and inclusiveness in the sciences.