Scientific Leadership and Management Skills Training Course—Day 1
Gladstone Institutes and UCSF are pleased to partner in offering the 2017 Scientific Leadership & Management Skills course (SL&MS). Now in its 10th offering, this 2-day class provides 16 hours of training and is targeted at senior postdoctoral scholars, clinical research fellows, and junior faculty. This course is recommended for those who are about to lead research groups or those who have just begun to lead. It is modeled after the successful course designed by Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and makes use of the HHMI book, Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty. The course is only offered every 18 months.
When: Thursdays, November 2, and November 9, 2017
Location: Gladstone Institutes
Please do not apply for the course unless you can attend both days, all day. If you are admitted to the course, you will be asked to register and pay for the course in a separate process.
- Introduction to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
- Using MBTI to Improve Performance
- Influencing Others: Motivating, Managing Conflict, “Leading Up”
- Vision: Advancing Your Research Program
- Staffing Your Research Group: Recruiting the Best
- Managing Your Time Effectively
- Influencing Others: Difficult Conversations and Negotiations
- Goal Setting
Applying for the 2017 Course in Scientific Leadership & Management Skills
- Applications are due by midnight on Thursday, August 31, 2017
- See below for selection criteria and key dates
- Applicants must be available to attend the entire course,—all day both days.
- Applicants must be willing to complete the course work. About 1 hour of pre-course effort is required of successful applicants. Additionally, 2 to 3 hours of homework effort will be required between the 2 days of the course
Registration Fees (includes course materials, two breakfasts, two lunches, and a reception)
- If you are selected, the registration fee for the course, will be covered by Gladstone.
- We have reserved 15 spots in this course just for Gladstone postdocs so please take advantage of this opportunity and apply!
- Thursday, August 31, 2017: Application deadline at midnight (online form will take 5 to 10 minutes)
- Friday, September 15, 2017: Accepted course participants are notified via email
- Monday, October 2, 2017: Deadline to register
- Thursday, October 5, 2017: Deadline to complete Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) inventory (less than 1 hour of effort)
- Thursday, November 2, 2017: Day 1 of the course, 8am–5pm
- November 3 to 8, 2017: Homework to prepare for Day 2 (about 2 hours of effort)
- Thursday, November 9, 2017: Day 2 of the course, 8am–5pm
Each year, we have more applicants for this popular course than we have slots. Therefore, we may not be able to accept everyone who applies. While exact selection criteria vary according to the number of applications we receive for any particular year, we generally give priority to those who carefully, but briefly describe why they want to take the course. They must also meet the following criteria:
- Postdoctoral Scholars/Clinical Research Fellows with seniority (those who might not be here to take the course next year) OR
- Postdoctoral Scholars/Clinical Research Fellows who have an academic or industry job offer (starting up a research group shortly and therefore need this course material now) OR
- Junior Faculty (those who have recently started up a research lab and need the course material now)
- Clinician Scientists: priority is given to those who spend a significant portion of their time conducting research.
For additional information about the 2017 Course in Scientific Leadership & Management Skills, or for questions about the application process or decisions, contact Sudha Krishnamurthy.
Offered in partnership by the Office of Postdoctoral and Graduate Affairs of Gladstone Institutes and UCSF