“Exploring Industry Positions: Effective Career Search Strategy”
- Industry Research Series
Gladstone welcomes Lauren Celano, co-founder and CEO of Propel Careers, who will provide advice on how to prepare and conduct an effective job search.
What should every job seeker ask themselves before they begin their search? This presentation will provide strategies to ensure your focused search on roles and companies align with your values, interests, and skills. It will also explain how you can use the independent development plan (IDP) and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to identify the roles and organizations that best fit your goals and personality.
The presentation will also cover:
- How to identify and research organizations through online searching, LinkedIn, conferences, press releases, new sources, networking and other sources.
- How to create a job search checklist and why it’s valuable to formally track your progress over time to maintain focus and accelerate your search.
- The “hidden job market” and how organizations and recruitment firms use résumé databases and LinkedIn to connect with talent.
- The value of a referral when applying for a job.
- Time frames for job searching, including when you should start looking and how long you have to decide on an offer once you receive one.
The presentation will be from 2:30 to 3:30pm, followed by a question and answer period from 3:30 to 4:00pm.
Upcoming Events in This Industry Research Series—Stay Tuned!
- Informational Interviewing
- Résumé Workshop
- How to Work with Recruiters
- Industry Job Talk
- Negotiating Your Industry Job
Organizers: Office of Postdoctoral and Graduate Student Affairs with guidance from the Gladstone Postdoctoral Advisory Committee (GPAC).
Offered by Gladstone’s Office of Postdoctoral and Graduate Student Affairs, the Industry Research Series is a new program designed to help postdoctoral scholars, graduate students, and scientific staff with the skills and resources to successfully transition into an industry position.